Strengthen your body to fight against COVID-19.
When I was in college, I had a roommate from India. One cold day (I went to college in Upstate NY), I had a pretty bad fever, my roommate came with a tiny teacup full of this aromatic drink called Kashayam.
She explained that it's a common home remedy in India. Generally used for cold, cough, sore throat, fever, and to boost your immune system. Literally, within an hour of drinking Kashayam, I was back to normal. When you drink Kashayam, you will immediately feel your body temperature rising and you'll start to sweat.
Now, I enjoy drinking it occasionally even if I'm not sick, I like to drink it on a cold night to warm up. Unfortunately there's no clinical evidence that it is clinically effective, but it contains many ingredients that support your immune system. It's worth a try!
Here's the recipe. This recipe makes Kashayam power in bulk, so you can store in an airtight container to enjoy whenever you like.
FOR KASHAYAM POWDER:
½ cup coriander seeds
¼ cup cumin seeds
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp fennel / saunf
6 pods cardamom
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ginger powder/ can be dried ginger pieces (you can also use a piece of fresh ginger, simply crush the fresh ginger and boil at time of serving)
FOR 2 SERVING (1/2 cup each):
1 cup water
1 tbsp dark brown sugar/jaggary/honey
¼ cup whole milk/or your favorite milk
1. Mix coriander seeds, cumin seeds, black pepper, fennel, cardamom, clove and put it in a pan. Dry roast on low flame, frequently mixing. Roast until spices turn aromatic. (10-15 minutes)
2. Cool the spice mixture completely, and transfer to a grinder with turmeric and ginger powder. (finer grinder is better, I use coffee grinder)
3. Blend the spices to fine powder.
Kashayam powder is ready, store in an airtight container.
1. In a small pot, add water and add 1 1/2 tsp of prepared kashayam powder and 1 tbsp brown sugar.
If you're using fresh ginger, you can add a small piece, crushed into the pot.
2. Stir well and boil for 5 minutes on medium low heat.
3. Turn the heat low and add ¼ cup milk, boil for another 1-2 minutes.
4. Serve in a mug and drink while hot.
Feel free to adjust ingredients to your taste, there's no right or wrong. Also, keep in tune with your body, I like to adjust the heat depending on how I am feeling that day. I may add more black pepper and less sugar.
I would love to hear how it turns out for you!